New for 2013 AAU Memberships
IMPORTANT NEW 2013 AAU MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION!
Mandatory Background Screening E
ffective August 15, 2012
The AAU is recognized as an industry leader in the world of youth sports, and the safety of our participants is a #1 priority. Join us in protecting America’s youth with background checks for all adult members. The AAU is launching a BE PREPARED campaign.
- New application screening process will impact each adult athlete/non-athlete applicant.
- Adult members will be screened yearly when applying for a membership as part of the membership process.
- Applications will not be approved instantaneously, and applicants must consent to a background screening.
- Each adult/non-athlete applicant must complete his/her own application
- Depending on the results, the applicant may be required to submit additional information
- Most memberships clear within 48 hrs, however there is no way to determine how long a background screen may take due to records search.
- You will not be able to participate in any AAU practices or authorized events until you have received your membership
- Youth Athlete memberships will process instantly.
- Any Adults with multi-year memberships will be contacted by mail with instructions on how to electronically sign the Disclosure and Authorization form (a web page). You will need to do this by August 15thor your membership status will be moved to pending until this process is completed.
- The Non Athlete or Adult Athlete membership will need to be processed and accepted before the club membership can be processed.
- The Club membership needs to be processed before you can print your verification of insurance, request third party practice certificate or apply for an event sanction.
Do I purchase my membership first?
- Any Clubs that have a multi-year membership will be moved to a pending status until the club contacts complete their membership screening process.
Yes your individual Non Athlete or Adult Athlete membership must be purchased and cleared before you can purchase a club membership.
Do I have to pay extra for the background check?
There is no extra fee. Your background screening is included in your membership fee.
Will I be background screened yearly?
Yes. It is part of the membership application.
I have a background check done through my Job, club, or Governing Body every year. Can you use that information?
No. Federal Law does not allow organizations to share background screening information. We cannot use any other source or data for our background screening process. You must go through our screening process. The same process must be used for all our adult members.
I am an adult athlete and I do not participate with youth athletes, do I still have to have the background screening done?
Yes. All adult members must be screened. No exceptions. The AAU seeks to provide a safe environment for all members.
I purchased a multi-year membership. My membership is good till 08/31/2013. What happens now?
Any Adults with multi-year memberships will be contacted by mail with instructions on how to electronically sign the Disclosure and Authorization form (a web page). You will need to do this by August 15th
or your membership status will be moved to pending until this process is completed.
If my membership is not approved what happens?
You can contact the AAU Compliance Department at 407-934-7200 for further instructions.